Volunteers give a high-five to a healthcare hero to mark Global Volunteer Month
Friday, April 24, 2020
Valley volunteers write letters to support local healthcare workers as AZ prepares for peak COVID-19 cases.
Got a minute? Write a note and send a smile to a healthcare worker in Phoenix.
April is Global Volunteer Month, and HandsOn Greater Phoenix, the state’s leading volunteer organization, is teaming up with Valley hospitals to make it easy to stay safe and still make a difference during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis.
Volunteers across the Valley are urged to write thank you notes, cards and letters to healthcare workers who are working tirelessly, and in tough conditions.
“This is a safe and personal way to have an impact without even leaving the house,” said Rhonda Oliver, CEO of HandsOn GreaterPhoenix. “The folks in healthcare are working so hard to get us through this crisis, and we hope these hand-written letters and cards make them smile and brighten up their day a bit.”
The letter-writing campaign kicks off Tuesday, April 14 and anyone can participate by following these simple steps:
- Find a card, note, or even just a piece of paper, and an envelope.
- Write your letter -- try to make your new healthcare penpal smile :)
- Snap a photo of your letter -- or make a video -- and share the good vibes on social media using #handsonforhealthcare and be sure to tag @HandsOnPhx in your post!
- Mail your letter directly to any of these 5 hospitals:
Banner Desert Medical Center Banner University Medical Center
Attn: Laura Robertson Attn: Kathleen Tang
1400 S. Dobson Rd. 1111E. McDowell Rd.
Mesa, AZ 85202 Phoenix, AZ 85006
St. Joseph’s Foundation Dignity Health Foundation- East Valley
Attn: Thank you cards 1727 W. Frye Rd. Ste. 230
124 W. Thomas Rd., Ste. 250 Chandler, AZ 85224
Phoenix, AZ 85013
Valleywise Health Medical Center
Attn: Volunteer Services
2601 E. Roosevelt St.
Phoenix, AZ 85008
1) If you can’t mail your letter, you can drop it off at any of these Arizona Federal Credit Union locations. HandsOn will take it from there and mail it for you.
16th Street- 1505 E. Southern Ave., Phoenix
Ahwatukee- 15625 S. 48th St., Phoenix
Deer Valley- 2650 W. Ross Drive, Phoenix
Gilbert- 1675 E. Elliot Road, Gilbert
Glendale- 5485 W. Northern Ave., Glendale
Mesa- 1125 E. Southern Ave., Mesa
Scottsdale- 3396 N. Hayden Rd., Scottsdale
Superstition Springs- 7202 E. Southern Ave., Mesa
Washington Park- 4475 E. Van Buren St., Phoenix
HandsOn Office – 1125 E. Southern Ave, Mesa
2) And if you can’t mail or drop off a physical letter, but you still want to show your support, send your thank you note or photo via email to email@example.com and HandsOn will print it off and mail it for you.
HandsOn is also accepting financial donations that will be used to purchase gift cards to local restaurants and businesses. The gift cards will be mailed to the hospitals as another way to express gratitude and solidarity.
To show your support with a financial contribution to this campaign, please visit www.handsonphoenix.org/donate
About HandsOn Greater Phoenix – Since 1993, HandsOn Greater Phoenix has been putting volunteers to work where they are needed most. Our volunteers come from all walks of life from individuals to families to corporate groups and together, comprise a force of 27,000 local volunteers who help address our community’s most pressing needs. To learn more about what we do, visit www.handsonphoenix.org